Saturday, January 8, 2011

Ordinary Time



"Ordinary Time falls between Christmas and Lent, and between Easter and Advent." I got this quote by googling the meaning of "ordinary time" in the church calendar. Putting up all the Christmas decorations is so fun and I love waking up in the morning and seeing all the cute, festive stuff. But, after the new year starts, all of a sudden there is a day, or an hour actually, that you look around and say "enough"! So, you drag out all the boxes that are labeled Christmas this or that, now holding the stuff you put away to put out the holiday stuff, and you make the switch. Only the holiday stuff much outnumbers the ordinary stuff, which is just perfect. Once the Christmas memories are tucked safely back away until next year, and the simple everyday items are back in their place (somewhat - I never can quite remember where I had what...it is fun to re-arrange!), you look around and say, as Carl just said, "it looks crisp and clean around here". Ordinary time. Quiet. Calm. Even the towel drawer is back to the regular dish towels and dish cloths. Some of them are looking a bit worn, so I think I must make some newly decorated ones very soon. I have already found two Christmas items that didn't make it into the boxes, and I am sure I will find more things as the weeks go on, but soon all traces will be put away. This current sense of accomplishment and calmness will help us face the moving of my parents from their house into assisted living. They are both happy and excited about this new time in their lives. I am thankful for this and I am thankful for them. When it comes down to it, the best times in life are the most ordinary. Jerilynn

2 comments:

  1. Ordinary time is indeed a precious gift., and it makes the extraordinary moments even more amazing and precious as life goes on. Thanks for pointing it out Jer. xoxo

    ReplyDelete