Sunday, January 23, 2011

Lots of Clothesline Totes!!



New Folk Art Clothesline bags made from Jelly Rolls. In the past I hadn't used Jelly Rolls, which are one color each of a designer's new collection and are 2.5 inches wide. That width is a bit wider than I usually use, but it seemed to work out great. Usually the rolls have 40 strips. I used 30 for each bag. This left 10 to use for handles and/or pockets. I will need a bigger pieces, of course for lining. The upside of using these pre-cut strips is, well, they are pre-cut! The downside is that there is usually only one strip of each fabric in the collection and it it hard to get wider and narrower stripes of colors that you can get when you use fewer fabrics. I tried to still get that look by grouping like colors together. It is hard to see in the picture, but the middle tote was stitched with a multi-colored thread. In person it had a very nice effect. I made all three of these in one day - the day I finished the muted color tote. Zoom. Zoom. I think I have figured out how to make the lining have a zippered top. I will let you know if my idea actually works! Jerilynn

3 comments:

  1. Wow...3 in one day! I like the color combinations...and I could see the multicolored thread when I enlarged the photo. Keep us informed on the zippered top-that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors you have used. I am also very impressed that you got 3 done in one day. Do you use the wrap over clothesline or fused quilting onto the strips? Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment. I used the technique I developed in my Indygo Junction pattern Quick Clothesline a Carry-alls.

      Delete