Saturday, November 13, 2010

Snap Happy with a Bit of Bling

This was this morning's project at Sew Holiday 2010. It is a 7 1/2" x 6 3/4" pouch from the pattern Snap Happy by Stitchin' Sisters. This uses 3/4' metal carpenter measuring tape as the "snap" in the top facing to open and close the pouch. The kits were all pre-cut, so all we had to do was the sewing! Most of the students used an embroidery of an open daisy-type design. I decided that since I have an embroidery machine at home, I would let the other ladies use the machines at the class and I would just use some decorative stitches to stitch the layers together. Plus, as you may know, I have been in a bit of a decorative stitch mood. Two of the teachers had a stash of hot fix crystals and we could use some to bling up the pouch. Now, those little crystals have been around for quite a while, but all of a sudden, I just think they are just what I want! No, I haven't put them on everything. Just here and there. The construction was pretty fast and I think I would like to make more of those little pouches. The pattern has several other sizes, and instructions to make almost any size you want. The trimming of the metal measuring tape wasn't too hard - you just need strong scissors that can cut thin metal. Duck tape is then wrapped around the cut end so that it is not sharp. I hope Carl doesn't notice a missing tape or two. By the way, I was pressing something today and the iron caught on fire! Sparks, fireworks, then fire. I didn't get hurt, nobody did. It was just a bit scary. I am so glad that I am here visiting with you tonight. Plus, my pouch was happy to be photographed in the Red Chair. Jerilynn

No comments:

Post a Comment