Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Am I Too Old for Steampunk?



This bracelet and earrings are made from some wonderful beads that I bought on Etsy from a seller named Loupiac. I love her stuff! I will say the usual "the picture does not do the beads justice" remark. But, it is true. These beads are fun shades of gold, red, burgundy and orange. I used some fittings from Vintaj Natural Brass. Have you noticed the Steampunk trend in beading? Well, maybe you aren't a beader....so maybe you haven't noticed the trend. I have read that Steampunk is the intersection of technology and romance - Steampunk jewelry designs usually are not symmetrical, and have chains, charms, quirky components. Little pieces of art. Well, the above bracelet is not Steampunk, but does use some Vintaj brass, and Vintaj Natural Brass is used quite a bit in Steampunk designs. Their website is fun to look at. Also, check out Loupiac's other beads. I would love a set that she has on her site now called Alchemy, but we'll see. I have made a few pieces of jewelry for the Dancing Bird Art Gallery in Cumberland, WI, and the first necklace I sold was almost Steampunk, maybe a little punk but not much steam. It had chains and charms and I gave it a clever name, but for the life of me, I can't recall what it was. Guess I better keep better records. Jerilynn

1 comment:

  1. "You're never too old for Steampunk!" is a sentence I've never, in my 60+ years, written before! Guess you're never too old for much of anything ;>) P.S. And I've NEVER had a word verifier like "pendop" before, either! If it isn't a word, then I think I'll make up a definition for it and start using it. Or maybe jerisew can come up with a pendop quilt pattern in my honor!

    ReplyDelete