Saturday, October 30, 2010

Cozy!


We are at the cabin doing a few things to get ready for the big digger to come on Wednesday. We are putting a door from the living room walkout level to the soon-to-be new basement level. The door is going in the corner where the stairway to the sleeping level creates a nice little storage area. That was (is) basically our only "closet" and when we unloaded it to allow for the new door, I was amazed at the stuff we have accumulated over the past 3.5 years. A good purge will happen as we put stuff back, that is for sure. After that unloading project was done, I started to look around and decided I needed to take a few pictures of the "before" and got a bit nostalgic. Even though we have only owned the cabin a short time, it has been a cozy and fun retreat for us and family and friends. The above picture is a shot of the "master bedroom". Not very big. The side wall is just to the left of the nightstand with the red lamp. I am standing just inside the door, so you can see that there isn't much room for dancing! The quilt was a made-up pattern based on a quilt I had seen somewhere and decided that I could just piece together odd sizes of rectangles and then put a long strip on a border in between. I saw an fun movie a few years back, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, and loved the colors in the movie! The soundtrack is great. If you are in a mood for a quirky movie, seek this one out. Anyway, what does this have to do with the quilt? Well, the Team Zissou outfit is a pretty blue with a red hat. Love that combo. When I went to make a quilt for the cabin, I dug around until I found some fabrics that gave me that combo. You can't really tell too much from the photo, but the curtains (made lined with the method I talked about a few days ago) are light turquoise blue with dots (of course). I used some of that in the quilt. The red with the dots is leftover from the bathroom curtains at the cabin, and the stripe is from the curtains in the guest room. The pictures on the wall are framed months from the Linnea Anderson poster calendars. Do you have a hard time throwing out calendars, too? What a great source of cheap art! You also can't see that the ceiling is a bit sloped. The curtains hide a direct view to the lake. In the remodel we are keeping our bedroom where it is, but the guest room, even smaller will become part of the room, housing a small closet and a bath. Not fancy, but still Cozy! Jerilynn

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see how you expand this charming cabin. It's just delightful NOW, but it will be even more welcoming and usable space, especially for your studio facing the lake. It will bring cozy to a whole new level!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see it, either! Lots of beds for family, of course, but also for visiting ladies who want to have a retreat for a few days....good food, good fun. Put May 2011 on your calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know me, I've got a hard hat ready if the man o' the woods needs help in the interim ;>) Dusting off the Bernina, though, to be ready to join any laldies group in which I might be invited to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Me too? Pfaff ready to go at a moments notice. Great bedroom theme and colors. The polka dots look like bubbles.

    We live the Life Aquatic here. The youngest has worn a red Steve Zisou stocking hat for the last year through all seasons and won't give it up for washing. Might have to sneak it off his head during the night just like we all had to do with the old tattered blankies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we have the first annual West Hill Craft Reunion forming!!! April might be the month, but I think May is going to be safer - we DO want all the plumbing and electricity to work. We should have 7 to 9 beds for people, more space if people want to share a queen. Being a queen myself, though, I only share with kings. Closer to the time we will pick a date, decide if a formal class is desired, and, most importantly, decide on food and beverage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have already purchased my 2011 wall calendar in the hopes that such fantastic opportunities would need to be scheduled ahead of all else!

    ReplyDelete