Wednesday, December 15, 2010

And the Stocking Were Hung....

I made these stockings, or at least the first few about 9 years ago. I was working ultra-full time and wasn't doing much sewing so I made the stockings out of red wool and trimmed them with gold rick-rack and PAINTED on the names with gold sparkle paint. Yep. Painted names. Well, as our 6 children expanded with spouses/significant others, grandchildren, I just kept making more stockings. I knew that they had to be long and narrow - the mantle can hold just so many stocking holders! I had a moment of brilliant foresight when I purchased all the angel stocking holders at Pier One for 75% off! I have two still unused, so after that we will have to double up, I guess. Over the years, people have come and gone. I have even resorted to "picking off" some letters and reusing the stocking for the current person of interest. That paint is good for that. Now that I have been sewing so much again, I feel as if I should make real stockings, with real embroidered names. They would still have to be long and narrow, but they wouldn't look like a craft project gone bad. The only problem that I can foresee is that stitches are harder to take out than peeling off paint. For the record, Carl and I aren't there. I guess we just haven't been that good all year. Jerilynn

No comments:

Post a Comment