Friday, December 17, 2010

Thanks to Pottery Barn and Robert Indiana

From Wikipedia: "Robert Indiana's iconic work LOVE was first created for a Christmas card for the Museum of Modern Art in 1964 and later was included on an eight-cent United States Postal Service postage stamp in 1973, the first of their regular series of "love stamps." Sculptural versions of the image have been installed at numerous American and international locations." One such installations was just down the street from where I used to stay in New York City. I think somewhere I even have a younger, thinner picture of myself standing in front of that statue. So, when I opened the late fall Pottery Barn catalog and saw their Noel wall art, I instantly wanted it! But, $149.00. Ouch. I marked the page, but knew this wasn't one item that would ever get ordered. The wreath I have over the fireplace is not looking to fun anymore, and I thought that darn Noel sign from Pottery Barn would just look great. Guess what? Sold out! Whew. That was close. Then I started to do some research on it and found this tutorial here. Ha! I can make my own. The letters are on the workbench, ready to get painted. They just might not get done this year, but it will be fun to have a new project for next Christmas. In the meantime, however, I thought the Noel configuration would make a quirky coaster. Opened up the Bernina V6 software, and a few quick moves later, the coaster design was done. I have sewn several out and they really are pretty fun. You could say I LOVE them. Jerilynn

1 comment:

  1. Cool, Jeri. I know a metal worker but he's so busy that if I asked him to cut out metal letter he'd tell me to jump-----!!! It looks like something Raina would love - Pottery Barn is her favorite store! They great her when she comes in!!!!

    ReplyDelete