Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Quick Card Case



My nephew and his wife and their three daughters (my great-nieces, and I agree!) are here visiting from Arizona. The middle girl is 10 and is just the perfect age to learn to sew. Last night they saw the card case my daughter made, and uses to stuff all her cards in, and thought it was really cute and clever. So, this morning, I thought that would be a great project to start with. It is similar to the little case that has been around for a while, but my version is simplified and takes just about 10 to 15 minutes to do, with no raw edges showing. I let my niece pick out five fabrics, one for the outer side, one for the inside, and three fabrics for pockets. I did the rotary cutting - those round razor blades are sharp! She did the pressing, the pinning, and the stitching. She even sewed on the Velcro in just the right spot! I was very proud of her and she was pretty proud, too. Now, though, the other two sisters want one, and so does the mom...so, I think we have some more sewing to do before they leave on Friday. I am also thinking of having her try the Origami bag that I have seen on the web. I am sure there are lots of fun quick projects for her to try. I should put my pattern for the Quick Card Case up on my Etsy site in case those of you in Blogland would like to try it. Let me know if there is any interest. I might even get out the new toy I bought myself...it is the heat thing that you can put crystals on clothing with. Hmmm, not very good sentence construction. Anyway, I might be the only adult sewer in the world that hasn't decorated with hot crystals yet. Never too old to learn. Jerilynn

No comments:

Post a Comment