Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Shrinky Dinky Mittens



I love these felted mittens from the pattern Fargo Felted Mittens by Theresa Gaffey.  Doesn't the name "Fargo Felted Mittens"  just promise to you that these are going to be  warm, non-nonsense winter hand protection?  Yes, indeed.  I have lost count of how many of these I have made.  The pattern has instructions for Child's Small through Adult X-large.  I haven't made any small ones yet, but I have made plenty of the big ones.  As you can see from the top photo, after they are knit of a worsted weight, wool yarn, they are GIANT!  And this pair is adult medium...you can imagine how big the X-large ones are!  The second shot shows how they look after a first wash in hot water.  I usually throw them in with something else, like jeans, using detergent and fabric softener.  The third shot is the result of a second wash...perfect!  At this point I shape the damp mittens to fit nicely on a real hand and let air dry.  Don't you just love the sock-monkey inspired yarn choice?  Carl, who is a die-hard lined leather glove kind of guy looked at them and said "Hmm, they might be good for snow-blowing snow!"  So, now I have another pair of these half done, size large.  Perfect knervous knitting project at night while mulling over all the things that still need to get done for the holidays.  I know, I don't have many days left.  Jerilynn

No comments:

Post a Comment