Friday, March 18, 2011

Raw Edge Applique

Good morning! I dug around in my towel drawer to find something a little springy and I pulled out this towel. I think I made this a couple of years ago, but it always seems to make me smile when I bring it out. It is made using raw edge applique. Basically what that means is that you cut out the applique shapes with a fusible on the back, iron them onto whatever you are working on, and instead of stitching around the edges to neatly secure them, you stitch inside the edge and allow the natural fraying that will happen add to the overall charm and dimension of the piece. I did a little zig zag on the flower center, and did some free motion scribble swirls on the flower petals. I then decided I needed to add a ladybug that had some free motion flight paths. This is very much like sketching with your sewing machine needle and thread. This method is used often for quilts for kids - again, lots of dimension. It doesn't have to be perfect to look fun. I will have to make more things with this technique. Jerilynn

1 comment:

  1. Raw and scribbly. Kinda how I feel this early morning, but not as pretty. Thanks for the reminder of this technique. It may be the prefect thing for a project today if my focus doesn't improve soon.

    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete