Thursday, February 3, 2011

Bucket Bread



I don't have a big bucket list. Afraid to have one, actually. What if I do everything on it? What next? Whenever I am feeling a bit overwhelmed, I have a very strong urge to take a plane or train to Maine. I would rent a small cottage, painted turquoise, and get a job as a waitress in a diner. I would be good at listening to the locals and their troubles. No stress, no homework. Just smile, get good tips, and enjoy the crashing water views. Problem is, once I go to Maine, even to visit, I wouldn't have it anymore. I wouldn't have the perfect runaway place. I have been told that Maine can be disappointing, and the locals don't warm to outsiders. It's very cold there, harsh, even. So, I have never been to Maine, and probably won't go. It will forever remain on my bucket list and on my place to escape to list. Bread has also been on the list. I used to be somewhat okay with yeast breads, but the last few years, my attempts have been not good. Until now! I was invited over to Jan's house for dinner. I brought my glass tile stuff along because I knew her daughter Lisa and daughter-in-law Brenda would be there and I thought we could have a fun project to do. But, before we sat down to do the tiles, Lisa demonstrated how to make Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. Wow. That bread was absolutely delicious, and Lisa showed how easy it was to do. It reminded me so much of the bread that I had loved in France when I was there so many years ago and never could find anything close around here. Crunchy on the outside and soft and yeasty on the inside. Toasted, yum. Add a little apricot preserves. Heaven. For my birthday I ordered the book, the paddle, and the stone. There are lots of good recipes to try in the book, and Lisa said there is a book two out. So, thank you to Jan, Lisa and Brenda for having me over and making a wish of mine come true! So, blog readers, anytime you are in the neighborhood, stop by for a nice big slice of wonderful bread. I will pretend that I am the waitress and I will listen to your troubles. Jerilynn

1 comment:

  1. Bought that book myself- can't wait to see the results!!

    ReplyDelete