Sunday, June 29, 2014

Houses!




Even though this quilt top needs more pressing, and the quilt needs to be quilted, of course, I couldn't wait to show you what I have been working on.  I think out of all the quilts I have made, this one has been the most fun, so far.  This pattern is Suburbs by Allison Harris of Cluck Cluck Sew.  I have always been drawn to little houses and the simplicity of these houses is just perfect.  So easy and fast to make.  I decided to go through all my fabric bins and pull out conversation prints so that each house would be different and have a personality all its own.  Not only is the construction addictively fun, but finding fabrics I had forgotten about was like a treasure hunt!  I made the twin size so that my mom could enjoy it for a while on her bed, but I could easily have continued on to a queen or a king.  Just one more!  Fussy cut a door!  I need a fishing house!  Oh!  Bobbins and spools!  An I Spy quilt for grown-ups.  I spent a little time on the web last night looking up other Suburb quilts people have done to get quilting ideas.  So many cute ones out there.  Still not sure how I am going to quilt it, so I am open to any ideas.  Check out Allison's other quilt patterns.  I love her color sense and her whimsical style.  I have quite a few of her other patterns on my to-do wish list.  Going through all my fabric bins has inspired me to pull them all out and reorganize and re-acquaint myself with past fabric purchases.  I don't seem to have many large pieces of fabric, so for the back I will need to put together some smaller sizes.  The fun continues.  Jerilynn

6 comments:

  1. I love this quilt pattern. I could see turning it into a Swedish fishing village quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see this, also. The clean and simple lines of the block is very Scandinavian. It was fun to Google this quilt to see the other colors/fabrics other quilters have used. Swedish reds, blues, yellows, greens...that would be so striking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! May have to get this pattern.

    Marva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marva, you must. I did the little tip they suggested in the pattern and sewed an extra line when sewing on the pieces to make the house roof. Now I have tons of half square triangles for another project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. I have been thinking about making a quilt similar to this for a while & now this has inspired me. Think I may have to add some people or trees or something else but then the simplicity of the houses is its charm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth - you will find this a very fun pattern to make. I was almost sad when I got the piecing done! Jerilynn

    ReplyDelete