Saturday, October 6, 2012

Ten States in 2.5 Weeks


Ten states.  5250 miles. A monumental gas charge card bill.   Wisconsin to the Oregon Coast and back.  We followed mostly the Oregon Trail and I had fun reading the roadside signs:  Dead Horse Creek, Crazy Women Creek, Dead Man's Pass.  You just wonder if there was another wife at some point on that long trip that just lost it after listening to non-stop 60's music.  I had knitting with me, some magazines, and an iPad that would get service once in a while.  Sure not very many people or towns in some of those Western states.  Or cell towers.  I only cried once when, after biting into a piece of salt water taffy, half of one of my molars broke off.  At that point we were on our way back from the coast, somewhere in Montana or Wyoming - I think it was very near the site of Little Bighorn.  I was longing for my own bed and not living out of a suitcase.  I was actually getting blase about all the gorgeous scenery.  I wanted to go home and see the autumn trees from the studio window and start the nesting for the winter to come.  We made it home safely, of course, and I was lucky enough just to catch the tail end of the good color.  From  my window I can see all the wonderful last hurrah shades of the trees.  As you can see from the picture, I managed to hit a few fabric shops here and there.  The magazines had all sorts of good ideas in them and I can't wait to dig in and do some sewing.  All of our clothes have been washed and put away, the internet is steady.  My sheets are super soft, and the bed is Goldilocks-just-right.  There's no place like home.  Jerilynn

No comments:

Post a Comment