Thursday, June 20, 2013

Summertime Memories in the Making

Yesterday I had an outing with a couple of friends from across the lake.  We went to a big old house just into Minnesota for a special sale of "treasures" that happens just a few times a year.  So fun.  I tried to remember my self-imposed buying ban, but I couldn't resist an old green metal tackle box, or a hand-stitched, HUGE, patchwork quilt in excellent condition for $24.  I had to buy it and give it a new home.  It was a rescue mission.  Anyway, we also stopped at the bead shop in Taylors Falls, MN.  I did very well.  I only bought some African Christmas beads to replace the ones I have used up.  They are the tiny, multi-colored beads that I love using as fillers.  A bargain at $2.50 a strand.  What I HAD to buy, however, were some drilled stones from Lake Superior.  When my kids were growing up, a trip to the North Shore of Lake Superior was THE best trip.  When it was hot and muggy in Chippewa Falls, it was fresh and beautiful on the shore.  Hours were spent just throwing little stones in the lake.  I saw those little stones, and knew I needed to make a little pendant.  It is only 1 1/4" x 1/2", with sterling silver wire.  It will be fun to wear here at the lake.  Summer is here, both on the calendar and on the thermometer.  We have had the windows open for quite a few days - nights have been at such a good sleeping temp, but today the humidity has arrived and the air conditioner is on.  I am hoping that it gets a bit nicer at, say, 5:00-ish.  We just bought a bottle of pre-mixed Zombies and I think a little patio sipping may be in order.  I will wear khakis, a white shirt, and my new Lake Superior Necklace.  And bug repellant.  Jerilynn

2 comments:

  1. My sister lives in St. Croix WI and I have been to Taylor's Falls many times! I never realized it was in MN! That is a sweet little town, lovely shops and a GREAT coffee shop.
    I love the pendant you made, I collect popples (round stones) but they are much to big and heavy to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Joan. The "welcome to Minnesota" sign is West yet of Taylor's Falls, so,that does cause confusion. No sales tax on clothes and there is also a really cute dress shop down the road a bit from the bead shop. They have ready-made stone pendants at the bead shop...you may just have to have your sister buy one for your collection!

    ReplyDelete