Friday, January 27, 2012

Dead Fish

Dead Fish Hat done!  I haven't had a chance to block it yet.  I am even thinking of trying to shrink it a bit to felt it, make it warmer.  It is pretty big, so a little size reduction would be good.  If it shrinks too much, I would have to find a suitably-sized grandchild to take it home and wear it proudly.  As I talked about a few posts ago, this hat was mentioned in a book I was reading that prevented me from opening another book that I had inter-loaned, a cookbook.  I want to take a moment here and mention what a wonderful thing a library is.  I think I had gotten away from the lending concept...those big book stores are just so appealing.  But, ANY book you want to read you can get...if they don't have it, they will get it for you.  Our local library staff seems to get excited about inter-loans...I guess they love books, too, and like to see different things come through the door.  Anyway, the cook book I ordered was

The Kitchen Counter Cooking School: How a Few Simple Lessons Transformed Nine Culinary Novices into Fearless Home Cooks 

Kathleen Flinn (Author) .  Great book.  It tells the story of how the professionally trained chef, Kathleen Finn, took nine cooking beginners who relied heavily on mixes and fast food, and turned them into real cooks.  Loved the adventures, and also loved the hints and the basic recipes.  I have decided that this was one book I would read again, so it is on my list to purchase.  Her first book, 

The Sharper The Knife, The Less You Cry: Love, Learning And Tears At The World's Most Famous Cookery School: Love, Laughter And Tears At The World's Most Famous Cooking School

just came in (from inter-loan) and is in my bag to take on a little weekend trip.  I will let you know about that book, too, and if it lands on my Amazon list.  I have already made a basic roasted chicken using Kathleen Flinn's methods.  Delicious.  I may try some fish next.  Dead Fish, of course.  Jerilynn

No comments:

Post a Comment