Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day Two of School of Threadology


More good food today. All food has been great, but there must be a couple or more different people the school is using. Some have tablecloths, flowers, "tablescapes" (ala Sandra somebody on Food Channel). I am sad to report that I have eaten all the offered desserts, although I have avoided most all of the bread. Doesn't make much sense, but if I am going to blow it, I want it to be on something really yummy. When they said that we wouldn't go hungry, they were very right! I stayed a bit later after class to hear a presentation on websites and blogs. Pretty interesting. I know I haven't been blogging very long, but it has been three whole days and I don't have any followers! I know, I have to let people know about it, but I guess I just want to quietly sit in a comfy chair and write a bit and have people read it. Anyway, back to the school...today I played with all different kinds of threads. I learned that pretty much all I need are topstitch needles - for piecing, quilting, embroidering. Most of the thread I used today had a needle suggestion of 90/14 Topstitch. Some thicker thread required a 100/16. All of the Superior Threads I used sewed beautifully on the Bernina 730 that I was using. Upper tension was usually lowered to 1 to 3, depending on the type of thread. I am not afraid of playing with the tension dial - unlike some people who had the fear installed in them that IF THEY EVER TOUCHED THE TENSION SOMETHING REALLY BAD WOULD HAPPEN. I am looking forward to being home with my new threads and trying them out on the Bernina 440, 1630, and the Pfaff Creative Vision. Ya, I know, I have a lot of machines. After talking with other students, however, I think my machine "stash" is fairly modest! (This is not a hint for my spousal unit!). We also saw some gorgeous quilts made by Heather (Mother Superior). The quilting was done on a longarm machine and is looking more and more like something I would like to learn to do. Ooops, a machine stash addition? I am liking the King Tut thread the most - pretty colors and a bit thicker. I will let you know how it goes once I get home. Tomorrow we get to make another project and have another talk about threads. Who knew that three days playing with string could be sew much fun! Okay, since I didn't bring my camera (duh!) I will have to look in My Pictures to find something to post because all this wording is a bit dull. It is a picture of my Penny Rug Table Runner. I have a new pattern out for that and am teaching a class on the runner in October. Good night! Jerilynn

No comments:

Post a Comment