Sunday, February 6, 2011

Treasures

Another beading project. This one is made using beads from Loupiac shop at etsy. Fkorence makes the most wonderful beads. I love her style and colors - swirls and dots and stripes. Beautiful beads and exquisitely done. These are from a set I just bought called Alchemy. Moodier colors than I normally am drawn to. Some metallic, burgundies, amber. I used Vintaj antique-looking findings. I wore it today with a light purple vest and a burgundy shirt. Got a few compliments! I really need to take a couple of lessons, though, on how to photograph bead stuff. I am sure it is the indoor, artificial light that I am fighting with. It was sunny today, I should have taken the shot then. Or even of me wearing it! Nah. I got quite a bit accomplished today at the folk's condo. Cleaning done, more things gone through. It doesn't seem to be getting any easier for me, and especially for them. Lots of memories and stuff. I better start making more necklaces and sewing more quilts. I don't want my kids to have to figure out what to do with all my supplies! A long time ago, maybe 15 or 16 years ago, I gave up shopping for a year. I wanted to see what it would be like to use up things that I had, wear clothes already in my closet, and decorate using what was around. The "rule" I gave myself was that I could buy what I would need to finish a project that I had on hand (zipper, lining, etc), but that the vast majority had to be already around my house. It was a pretty good year. In fact, when the year was over, it was hard to start shopping again. I am thinking that maybe I should do that again, especially now that I see how hard it is to figure out what to do with lifelong "treasures". I will give this some thought. Jerilynn

3 comments:

  1. I have the same worries over my kids exclaiming "Wow! Mom sure accumulated a lot of STUFF!" But then again, the economy needs us, Jerilyn....at least that's my rationale when I see something I just can't pass up. P.S. I L~VE my coasters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After moving my parents in May from Ohio to Illinois, from a 5 bedroom house to a 1 bedroom assisted living home I have been really doing shopping a lot more with a purpose...buying what I need instead of what I want (at least most of the time!) and have been doing some cleaning out-letting go of things I don't use anymore. Lots more to go, but least I have started. I don't want my kids to have to deal with what my sister and I had to moving my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. I used to keep stuff because some day I will use it/might need it. Well, my days are getting less in number and there is no way I will be able to use all of the items I have saved. Plus, there is always new things to see and to try. Wouldn't it be fun to get something new when it was time to start a project?

    ReplyDelete