Monday, August 29, 2011

She Ain't No Hand Model!



I have always been a little self conscious about my hands. They were old before the rest of my face/body caught up to them. When I was a shoe buyer, I discovered that my feet were the sample size and had many shoes given to my by vendors. Liked my feet and also the vast collection of cute shoes. My hands, however, were never cute. Sun damage didn't help. The other day I was sewing something that needed a little help to get things to line up well and I noticed that those good-old-German-stock-farm-hands were doing a pretty good job at get things smoothed out and lined up. So, I took another look at my hands and started to think about all the things they were able to do. Sewing, both hand and machine sewing. Knitting - good, consistent knitting. Crochet. Painting (watercolor). Cooking....grandma foods, of course - cream chicken over biscuits, apple pie, roasts. Fishing - threading a worm on the hook and carefully taking the hook out of the fish's mouth so they could live to tell their bigger brothers to watch out! Card playing, applauding great plays and music. Soothing many cranky babies. Folding fitted sheets into a decent square. I think I haven't been appreciative enough. The thumbs are starting to warp a bit, arthritis, I guess. My nails have developed quirky lines. I avoid bright polish. I am thankful, however, for the talent and the willingness to play along. I will not publish other pictures of old body parts. Promise. Jerilynn

5 comments:

  1. Just last week I was complaining about how my hands look. You gave me a whole new way of thinking about them. I EARNED my spots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very wise and thoughtful insights Jer. Mine are Clapping for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely sewing stories (and photos) and lake place pictures aside, this is your best posting. Very wise, Jerilyn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this...we should appreciate our hands...wrinkles, spotted, warped...whatever...just think of all our hands do...and especially the creativity that can come from them...wow...our hands are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, commenter people! Horay for creative hands!!!

    ReplyDelete