Thursday, June 13, 2013

Squooshy Yellow Blanket

Back here I blogged about an afghan that I saw on The Purl Bee that was just a bit too pricey to make.  I started one out of yarn left over from another afghan, and I did get that done.  I guess I need to get a photo of that as proof.  In the meantime, we were down in Madison finishing up the basement project (well, Carl was finishing.  I was just there for support.)  I saw some yellow/gold yarn at Joann's, Lion Brand Homespun, a bulky weight.  It is 98% acrylic, 2% poly, and very machine washable and dryable.  I decided to give the knit one, purl one stitch a try on this yarn, using size 15 needles.  Zoom.  I used 4 skeins, casting on stitches until it looked wide enough, and stopping when it was long enough, thus, the 4 skeins.  The resulting afghan is sooo soft and cuddly.  Pretty inexpensive to make, and, with those big needles, a very fast and mindless knit.  I can't believe I have turned into an afghan knitter.  It is almost as easy as knitting dishcloths, and people seem to be more receptive to a nice, squoooshy afghan than to a pile of colored dish cloth squares.  I have been told that I have a child that has asked for warm, felted mittens, but I have ignored his request.  Yes, it is June, and finally getting to be summer, but the mosquitoes right now are the size of a small robin, so I think I will pick up another knervous knitting project.  Mittens it is.  Jerilynn


No comments:

Post a Comment