Monday, October 10, 2011

I Spy a Cute Quilt!







I finished this I Spy quilt yesterday. It is going to be for our grandson's second birthday. The front is 6 inch squares cut from a huge variety of "conversation" prints, some of which came from old friends over the years. The back is a map of the world that I ordered from Etsy. The size of the quilt was determined by the front needing to fit the back map, so it turned out to be about 36" x 52". The map was actually a bit smaller than the front when I was done sewing all the squares together, so after quilting I just brought the front to the back, turned under the raw edges and zigzagged into place. The binding now looks "pieced" from the map side and I think this type of edge is a good, sturdy one for a toddler quilt. I think it has endless opportunities for conversations and play time. At some point I had read a poem about an I Spy quilt, but when I tried to search for it on the internet, I didn't find anything that I remembered. If you know of a good I Spy poem, let me know! Jerilynn P.S. The quilt looks crinkly because I like to wash and dry my quilts that are made from unwashed cottons after they are all done. It makes it look soft and worn in. I also turned the squares every-which-way so there is no right side up.





1 comment:

  1. Hope your grandson loves the quilt! I spy quilts are fun to look at!

    ReplyDelete