Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Follow the Arrow


"There is no such thing as a new idea. It is impossible. We simply take a lot of old ideas and put them into a sort of mental kaleidoscope. We give them a turn and they make new and curious combinations. We keep on turning and making new combinations indefinitely; but they are the same old pieces of colored glass that have been in use through all the ages."
- Mark Twain, a Biography 
I think I truly believe this.  Back to the whole Pinterest thing:  the reason I love it so much is the images that become a part of my mental kaleidoscope.  I think I may have become just a copy-cat, not even making new combinations.  The bottom shot is from Earth Cadets, and it is a $65, hand screen-printed pillow.  The top shot is my version, Cherrywood hand-dyed cotton appliqued to a heavy linen canvas.  There is a zipper in the back for easy removal.  I am seeing arrows and feathers all over the place, aren't you?  Love the modern graphics of arrows and the positive feeling - pointing you in the direction you need to go.  A road map of sorts.  Don't Look Back. 
This little window was given to me over 15 years ago.  I wish I could remember who the friend was.  It hung in my office window at work and continues to hang in the window above my office desk in the studio.  The sentiment was so appropriate back then, and still is.  An arrow points in one direction that says "no longer an option."  The arrow that is the road taken says "your life."  True that.  Jerilynn


1 comment:

  1. I hope it was me, though my memory is no clearer than yours. I know how much we both loved ME as an artist and designer. This perfectly captured your new direction and hope for the future at that point. It sure turned out great, didn't it!

    ReplyDelete