Tuesday, October 30, 2012

What is Your Passion?


I can't really remember a time when I wasn't fascinated by sewing, knitting, crafting.  Some of my earliest memories are of seeing a sewing basket by a chair in a babysitter's house and seeing the colorful bobbins at my Aunt Jean's house.  I was hooked.  What was that stuff?  How does it all work?  I started hand sewing in first or second grade, and got my first sewing machine in fourth grade.  I was so fortunate to be born in a family that, while of modest means, truly valued, and encouraged, creativity.  My third child, a son, was born into a family of no guns or hunters.  I swear he came out of the womb going "bang-bang" with his little fingers.  He soon fashioned guns and swords out of Legos or duct-taped cardboard.  He is 27 now and still loves guns and shooting.  His son, Benjamin, is turning three this weekend, and has a love of cars.  And trucks.  And construction equipment.  Even when he was very little, he loved watching cars go by on our back deck with Grandpa Carl.  He has a bunch of toys, but the things that go "zoom" have his heart.  I saw the road fabric panel in the Keepsake Quilting catalog, and knew that it would be a good project to make for his birthday.  I am sure he will have fun following the roads and tracks with his little fleet.  I thought he might need a reusable tote as wrapping, and made him a big, personalized one out of fabric left over from the quilt his mom made him last summer.  His party is Saturday, and his mother and I will be attempting to make a racetrack sheet cake with individual cake cars.  I am sure some wine will be involved.  I will share the results, good, bad or ugly, with you next week.  Have you given in to your passion?  What makes your heart go pitty-pat??  Jerilynn

No comments:

Post a Comment